Skip to main content
Digestion, Absorption and Metabolism

There three major steps in the digestion process. This includes the ingestion when the food enters the body, digestion where the food is broken down by digestive enzymes and then the body absorbs the nutrients needed from the food. Digestion is important because this is how the body get's its fuel from the food.

The digestive system includes the mouth, esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines. The accessory organs include the teeth, tongue, salivary glands, liver, pancreas and gallbladder.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/xTHwE730tN25W/giphy.gif

Carbohydrate digestion begins in the mouth when the food enters, the teeth begin chewing and saliva is released. In the saliva there are digestive enzymes called amylase that begin to breakdown carbohydrates. Amylase is an enzyme present in the saliva that helps break down starches and help convert it to glucose. Glucose is the body's main fuel source. “That’s why the more you chew bread the sweeter it tastes.” (Crash Course, 2012) This chewed up food is now referred to as the bolus.

Once the bolus has been swallowed, it will travel through the esophagus into the stomach. The stomach has three it must do. First it must store the swallowed food and liquid, next it will mix the food, liquid and digestive juices to produce chyme and lastly, it will release the chyme into the small intestines.  

Protein digestion begins in the stomach. "Cells in the stomach release gastric juice, a mixture of water, enzymes, and hydrochloric acid. This strong acid mixture is needed to activate a protein-digesting enzyme and to initiate digestion of protein—protein digestion is the stomach’s main function. " (Sizer and Whitney, 2017, pg. 85)

In the small intestines is where most of the fat digestion takes place. This is where the bile from the gall bladder emulsifies the fat preparing it for enzyme action."Then fat-digesting enzymes break the fats down into absorbable pieces. The pieces then assemble themselves into balls that remain emulsified by bile." (Sizer and Whitney, 2017, pg, 169)

Once the chyme has been processed through the small intestine it then enters the large intestine via the cecum. "Monoglycerides and fatty acids enter absorptive cells in the small intestine through micelles; they leave micelles adn recombine into chyomicrons, which then enter the bloodstream. Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed in the same manner as lipids; water-soluble vitamins can be directly absorbed into the bloodstream through the intestine." (Digestion and Absorption, 2017) The job of the large intestine is to take what is left from the small intestine and remove all the water and bile salts before it is exported through the rectum. If it didn't do its job, it would result in constant diarrhea. "The absorption of water by the large intestine not only helps to condense and solidify feces, but also allows the body to retain water to be used in other metabolic processes." (Large Intestine, 2017) This is why when you do have diarrhea it is important to keep your fluids up, you can easily become dehydrated.

References

Digestion and Absorption. (2017). Boundless. Retrieved 27 June 2017, from https://www.boundless.com/biology/textbooks/boundless-biology-textbook/animal-nutrition-and-the-digestive-system-34/digestive-system-processes-197/digestion-and-absorption-754-11987/

Large Intestine. (2017). InnerBody. Retrieved 27 June 2017, from http://www.innerbody.com/anatomy/digestive/large-intestine
Sizer, F. & Whitney, E. (2017). Nutrition: Concepts and controversies (14th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's time for a change!

Happy Sunday, 2020 has definitely been a year for us all. I went into 2020 bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, excited to crush some goals and help others to do the same and then COVID-19 happened. I watched friends suffer through this disease, people die and others who felt it wasn't that serious. I also lost my dog, Meeko. I had her for 10 years and losing her was like losing a piece of my heart. 2020 really did a number on me and my mindset.  I tried to remain positive and focused throughout it all. During my 6 week furlough from work, I found joy in teaching virtual classes which was great because I was able to lose 30 pounds. But as I returned to work, returned to life, my weight fluctuated about 10 pounds in either direction due to depression and stress. What was worse was even though I was returning to my normal life, "normal" wasn't normal anymore. Usually after work, I would get my son and my boyfriend and I would spend 1-2 hours in the gym before going home. With

Why I switched from Team Beachbody to Herbalife

Hey everyone, if you're on my facebook (www.facebook.com/AlcineXtreme) or on my Instagram (instagram/AlcineXtremeFitness) you may have noticed that I have recently become an Herbalife Distributor. I know many of you have known me as Team Beachbody Coach for years and are probably wondering why I switched. First, I want to say that I loved the Team Beachbody products and will still recommend them. Shakeology has  helped me to lose weight as well as their programs have helped me to stay active. However, like most I need a more customized nutrition plan to take my fitness to the next level. Like many MLM (Multi-level marketing) business out there they provide products that will help the general population. They will get you some results, but most of the time in order for you to achieve your true goals it will take a little more. For me, Team Beachbody was great in helping me lost weight and increase my endurance with the programs that I used (i.e. Hip Hop Abs, T25, P90X, Insanity)

Fitness Testimonial from my client Nicole Leamer

My client Nicole is amazing. She is a person with determination like no other. She wrote this testimonial 4 weeks prior to the picture below. I'm so proud of her results!! "Six months ago, I toyed with the idea of signing up with a personal trainer for the first time in my life. Having always been a fairly active person, I’m probably more fit than the average person my age. However, over time, I found that pounds had slowly crept on, and I’d grown more and more dissatisfied with my state of fitness and, I’ll be honest, my appearance. I really needed to shake up my fitness routine, because ‘routine’ it was, and I was bored by it. I signed up with Alcine for 3 main reasons: 1) To be pushed in my workouts, 2) To mix up my routine, learning new techniques, machines, etc., and 3) To see how my fitness level could change if I took my personal preferences/techniques out of the equation. After training with Alcine for several weeks, I can say I have never been stronger, eve