Skip to main content

Macro- and Micronutrients

Macro- and Micronutrients

All around the nutrition world people talk about eating toward your macros. I’m sure you heard of the “If it fits your Macros (IIFYM)” but what exactly are Macros? Macronutrients are simply fats, protein, and carbohydrates. Each of these macronutrients have a specific job in the body. Macros can be found in all of our foods; the only difference is how much of each is in each food. For example, peanut butter has per tablespoon 16 grams of fat, 6 grams of carbohydrates and 8 grams of protein. So roughly 20% of the total calories is coming from carbohydrates, 26% is coming from protein and 54% is coming from fat. For each gram of protein and carbs is 4 calories and 9 calories for fat.
Fat
 https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2015/full-macro-pictures-reskin-fat.jpg

“Fat provides the majority of the energy needed to perform much of the body’s muscular work.” (Sizer and Whitney, 2017, pg. 161) As I mentioned previously 1 gram of fat is 9 calories. Fat is also used to store excess energy from food. There are 2 types of fats: Saturated and Unsaturated fats. As I mentioned in my previous blog, Nutrition and Disease, saturated fats such as trans fats are the bad fats and should be used sparingly or not at all. Especially if the label says, “partially hydrogenated” which is a dead indicator that there is artificial trans fats in that particular food. Unsaturated fats like salmon which contain polyunsaturated fatty acids – Omega 3s, nuts, avocado, olive oils for example are all good fats.
Protein

http://www.rivertea.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/vital_ingredients_artwork-copy1.jpg

Protein has 4 calories per 1 gram. “Protein is essential for repairing and regenerating body tissues and cells, a healthy functioning immune system and manufacturing hormones. This wouldn’t be possible without amino acids, which are found in protein-based foods. In total, there are 20 types of amino acids, 9 of which are ‘essential’ and can only be found in certain foods.” (2017) Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and 9 essential amino acids, which are body cannot make, include Phenylalanine, Valine, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Methionine, Histidine, Leucine, Lysine. Any easy way to remember them is with the acronym PVT TIM HiLL.

Dr. Travis Conley explains each of the amino acids functions below:

*Can be found at http://www.ocdoct.com/the-function-of-essential-amino-acids-and-the-human-body/

  • Tryptophan: tryptophan is the largest amino acid and is a precursor of serotonin and melatonin, which means that it can regulate mood and sleep.
  • Valine: valine is necessary for muscle metabolism and the repair of tissues and can be useful in the treatment of liver and gallbladder disorders.
  • Lysine: lysine enables the synthesis of carnitine, which converts fatty acids into energy and also plays an important role in the production of hormones, antibodies and enzymes. Having a deficiency in lysine can lead to niacin deficiency and cause a health condition called pellagra.
  • Methionine: this amino acid aids in the production of Sulphur, which is necessary for normal metabolism and it is also essential for the synthesis of hemoglobin and glutathione that fights against free radicals.
  • Leucine: Leucine is one of three essential amino acids that increase muscle mass and helps muscle recover after exercise. It also regulates blood sugar and supplies the body with energy. These functions make it invaluable when the body is stressed. Leucine is used clinically to help the body heal, and it also affects brain function and can be used in place of glucose in ‘fasting’ states.
  • Isoleucine: isoleucine is important for the regulation of blood sugar.
  • Threonine: this amino acid is needed to create other amino acids that aid the production of collagen. It is also important for antibody production.
  • Phenylalanine: there are three forms of phenylalanine: D-phenylalanine, L-phenylalanine and DL-phenylalanine. This amino acid is a precursor to catecholamines that regulate the central and peripheral nervous system


Protein can be found in animal meats, beans, leugumes, flax and chia seeds.

Carbohydrates
http://cdn1.medicalnewstoday.com/content/images/articles/161/161547/people-think-of-bread-pasta-and-rice-when-they-think-of-carbs-but-all-these-foods-are-rich-in-carbs-too.jpg

Carbohydrates get such a bad rap. All you hear is “don’t eat carbs, carbs are bad, only eat “good” carbs.” Carbohydrates are essential to our body and brain function. Glucose, our main source of fuel, is broken down from carbohydrates. Yes, if eaten in excess the body will store the extra sugar as fat to be used at another time. “Carbohydrates are ideal nutrients to meet your body’s energy needs, to feed your brain and nervous system, to keep your digestive system fit, and, within calorie limits, to help fuel physical activity and keep your body lean.” (Sizer and Whitney, 2017, pg. 114)

There are two types of carbohydrates, complex and simple. Complex carbs are made of starch and fiber are slow digesting in the body. Simple carbs are simply sugar and they digest quickly in the body.


Micronutrients

“Micronutrients, as opposed to macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates and fat), are comprised of vitamins and minerals which are required in small quantities to ensure normal metabolism, growth and physical wellbeing.”  (2017, pg 1) Unfortantely there is no food that has every single vitamin and mineral we need so it is important to eat a variety of foods that contain each of these daily. Also a good multivitamin helps!

Vitamins included are vitamin A, provitamin A (Betacarotene), vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, biotin, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, folic acid, vitamin K, niacin and pantothenic acid.

Minerals included are copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc together with the macro elements calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium.

References
Sizer, F. & Whitney, E. (2017). Nutrition: Concepts and controversies (14th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
What Are Macronutrients & Micronutrients?. (2017). Naturalbalancefoods.com. Retrieved 17 July 2017, from https://www.naturalbalancefoods.com/community/dietary-needs/what-are-macronutrients-micronutrients/
What are Micronutrients. (2017) (pp. 1-2). Retrieved fromh ttps://www.dsm.com/content/dam/dsm/cworld/en_US/documents/what-are-micronutrients.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's time for a change!

Happy Sunday, 2020 has definitely been a year for us all. I went into 2020 bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, excited to crush some goals and help others to do the same and then COVID-19 happened. I watched friends suffer through this disease, people die and others who felt it wasn't that serious. I also lost my dog, Meeko. I had her for 10 years and losing her was like losing a piece of my heart. 2020 really did a number on me and my mindset.  I tried to remain positive and focused throughout it all. During my 6 week furlough from work, I found joy in teaching virtual classes which was great because I was able to lose 30 pounds. But as I returned to work, returned to life, my weight fluctuated about 10 pounds in either direction due to depression and stress. What was worse was even though I was returning to my normal life, "normal" wasn't normal anymore. Usually after work, I would get my son and my boyfriend and I would spend 1-2 hours in the gym before going home. With

Why I switched from Team Beachbody to Herbalife

Hey everyone, if you're on my facebook (www.facebook.com/AlcineXtreme) or on my Instagram (instagram/AlcineXtremeFitness) you may have noticed that I have recently become an Herbalife Distributor. I know many of you have known me as Team Beachbody Coach for years and are probably wondering why I switched. First, I want to say that I loved the Team Beachbody products and will still recommend them. Shakeology has  helped me to lose weight as well as their programs have helped me to stay active. However, like most I need a more customized nutrition plan to take my fitness to the next level. Like many MLM (Multi-level marketing) business out there they provide products that will help the general population. They will get you some results, but most of the time in order for you to achieve your true goals it will take a little more. For me, Team Beachbody was great in helping me lost weight and increase my endurance with the programs that I used (i.e. Hip Hop Abs, T25, P90X, Insanity)

Fitness Testimonial from my client Nicole Leamer

My client Nicole is amazing. She is a person with determination like no other. She wrote this testimonial 4 weeks prior to the picture below. I'm so proud of her results!! "Six months ago, I toyed with the idea of signing up with a personal trainer for the first time in my life. Having always been a fairly active person, I’m probably more fit than the average person my age. However, over time, I found that pounds had slowly crept on, and I’d grown more and more dissatisfied with my state of fitness and, I’ll be honest, my appearance. I really needed to shake up my fitness routine, because ‘routine’ it was, and I was bored by it. I signed up with Alcine for 3 main reasons: 1) To be pushed in my workouts, 2) To mix up my routine, learning new techniques, machines, etc., and 3) To see how my fitness level could change if I took my personal preferences/techniques out of the equation. After training with Alcine for several weeks, I can say I have never been stronger, eve