Skip to main content

Nutritional Requirements Across the Lifespan

Nutritional Requirements Across the Lifespan

Nutrition is very important at every stage of life. From the developing fetus  to the adult, what you put in your body will either help or harm its development and progression. 

Pregnancy


During my pregnancy, I did my best to gain the suggested amount of weigh and to not go over. This was my first pregnancy and I wanted to make sure I did everything right. I stayed active, I only increased my caloric intake by 300 calories and I'm proud to say I only gained 26 pounds. I was pretty happy, I felt good throughout my pregnancy and I didn't have any complications during. I heard from other pregnant women that they had gained sometimes 30+,40+ even 60+ pounds during the pregnancy! I couldn't quite understand why and I really think it has to do with the mindset of "eating for two". 

First off, when you first find out your pregnant, most women find out during their first trimester and the baby is about an ounce. That is not the same size as a full adult at all. You don't even need to increase your calories during this time. During the 2nd and 3rd trimester an increase of about 340-450 calories is recommended (Sizer and Whitney, 2017, pg, 521). It is also recommended that pregnant women increase their protein by 25 grams and take a good prenatal that has iron, zinc, vitamin B and folate.

Infancy


My son is currently 8 months old. I breastfed him until he was 5 months and stopped due to work and it was hard for me to pump. It is highly recommended to breastfeed however not every mother can and it is important that you feed your child what is best for him or her. 

"Infants require 100 calories per kilogram of body weight per day." (Sizer and Whitney, 2017, pg. 539). It is recommended to breast feed babies at least for 6 months if you can. Cow's milk isn't recommended until after 1 year of age. 1st solids can be introduced at 4-6 months, 6-8  months textured foods can be introduced, 8-10 months "begin breads and cereal, yogurt, soft, cooked vegetables and fruit from the table. Gradually begin finally cut meats, fish, casseroles, cheese, eggs and legumes." (Sizer and Whitney, 2017, pg. 545) and 10-12 months portions and variety can be increased.

Adolescents

http://www.pvmhmr.org/images/root/adolfemaleeating.jpg

For males and females ages 1-18, 13-34 grams of protein are needed per day, 130 grams of carbohydrates, males need 19-38 grams of fiber per day and females need 19-26 grams.
Females should get between 8-15mg of iron per day and males should get 8-11 grams.  

Caloric needs are dependent on how active the young person is. A sedentary child (which no child should be sedentary if they're healthy). Childhood obesity is at an all time high and this can be prevented by teaching children healthy eating habit, keeping them active and watching their portions. 

Adults

This is probably the most difficult time in a person's life when it comes to nutrition. You no longer have mom making your plates and telling you what to eat, it's all on you. Life begins to happen, work, family, higher education, and next thing you know you have gained 10-50lbs!! It is important to understand that in order to maintain weight you must consume the same amount you put out, in order lose weight you must consume less that you put out, being in a calorie deficit and to gain you must consume more than you put out. It is that simple. Also understanding how much your body needs is essential as well.  "To maintain a healthy body weight, women need 1,600 to 2,400 calories, while men require 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Use your body weight to determine your caloric needs for healthy weight maintenance—13 calories per pound if you’re sedentary, 16 calories per pound of you’re moderately active and 18 calories per pound of body weight if you regularly engage in high-intensity exercise." (2017)

References 
Nutrition Needs During Adulthood. (2017). Healthyeating.sfgate.com. Retrieved 18 July 2017, from http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrition-needs-during-adulthood-6698.html

Sizer, F. & Whitney, E. (2017). Nutrition: Concepts and controversies (14th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's time for a change!

Happy Sunday, 2020 has definitely been a year for us all. I went into 2020 bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, excited to crush some goals and help others to do the same and then COVID-19 happened. I watched friends suffer through this disease, people die and others who felt it wasn't that serious. I also lost my dog, Meeko. I had her for 10 years and losing her was like losing a piece of my heart. 2020 really did a number on me and my mindset.  I tried to remain positive and focused throughout it all. During my 6 week furlough from work, I found joy in teaching virtual classes which was great because I was able to lose 30 pounds. But as I returned to work, returned to life, my weight fluctuated about 10 pounds in either direction due to depression and stress. What was worse was even though I was returning to my normal life, "normal" wasn't normal anymore. Usually after work, I would get my son and my boyfriend and I would spend 1-2 hours in the gym before going home. With

Why I switched from Team Beachbody to Herbalife

Hey everyone, if you're on my facebook (www.facebook.com/AlcineXtreme) or on my Instagram (instagram/AlcineXtremeFitness) you may have noticed that I have recently become an Herbalife Distributor. I know many of you have known me as Team Beachbody Coach for years and are probably wondering why I switched. First, I want to say that I loved the Team Beachbody products and will still recommend them. Shakeology has  helped me to lose weight as well as their programs have helped me to stay active. However, like most I need a more customized nutrition plan to take my fitness to the next level. Like many MLM (Multi-level marketing) business out there they provide products that will help the general population. They will get you some results, but most of the time in order for you to achieve your true goals it will take a little more. For me, Team Beachbody was great in helping me lost weight and increase my endurance with the programs that I used (i.e. Hip Hop Abs, T25, P90X, Insanity)

Fitness Testimonial from my client Nicole Leamer

My client Nicole is amazing. She is a person with determination like no other. She wrote this testimonial 4 weeks prior to the picture below. I'm so proud of her results!! "Six months ago, I toyed with the idea of signing up with a personal trainer for the first time in my life. Having always been a fairly active person, I’m probably more fit than the average person my age. However, over time, I found that pounds had slowly crept on, and I’d grown more and more dissatisfied with my state of fitness and, I’ll be honest, my appearance. I really needed to shake up my fitness routine, because ‘routine’ it was, and I was bored by it. I signed up with Alcine for 3 main reasons: 1) To be pushed in my workouts, 2) To mix up my routine, learning new techniques, machines, etc., and 3) To see how my fitness level could change if I took my personal preferences/techniques out of the equation. After training with Alcine for several weeks, I can say I have never been stronger, eve